Sunday, January 20, 2008

Warning!

While taking the KCR (The KCR is the suburban rail line, like the Metra in Chicago) up to the New Territories, I kept on seeing one PSA over and over again. It was a reminder not to sit on the floor of the train. Violators are subject to prosecution, with a fine of up to $2,000.
Later, a few of us were talking about said sign, and how foolish it seemed. Really, how often does someone just sit on the floor of a train when there are seats?
Well, apparently a lot. Remember, this train ends right at the border to the mainland, next to Shenzen. And once you enter the mainland, all manners go out the window. A friend who has to work in Shenzen twice a week said that late at night, a lot of native mainlanders will just sprawl all over the floor and fall asleep for a half hour.
And then, I pointed out the obvious: Why have this sign in English? No gweilo ever sits on the floor of the train, willingly asleep (now s/he may be drunken asleep, but neither knows nor cares then). Really, just keep it in Chinese only and save the translation costs.
That said, here's more recent warning signs I've shot recently. Apologies for the quality, I shot these with my cell phone.



From a sign in my apartment building. Yes, please make sure you use your toilet water supply for toilet use only. Remember, your dog can drink from the toilet, but you shouldn't.


Apparently, old and lonely Americans aren't the only people who fall for scams. Make sure you don't fall for those fake herbs (dude, I am not getting a buzz.....WTF....this is oregano!) or fake spiritual blessings (make sure you get a money-back guarantee when you pay someone to burn some entrails for you.)



And be careful when you step off the train so you don't fall into the two-inch wide pit trap of doom. I would laugh at something like this, but I have seen instances where (I assume they are) mainlanders are crouched over, gripping an escalator for dear life, because they apparently have never used one before. No lie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home