recipe for crankiness
1) I'm exactly two weeks into my month without booze (or I could shorten it to 4 weeks). The hardest part is the socialization aspect at this time of year. You really don't want to be outdoors now that the rainy season has officially started (I think); a mere 15 minutes of any remotely moderate activity means your shirt will be drenched. So you spend a lot of time indoors, usually drinking. But since I've given up alcohol, I don't want to tempt myself. Contrary to some people's expectations, I've had no physical effects; sorry, no DT's. But I realize working 10 of 11 days combined with awful humidity and not going out makes for one cranky person at work.
2) Really, socializing here is not unlike Chicago in winter. Go have dinner somewhere, hit somewhere else for drinks. Avoid the outdoors.
3) The new Wii I bought is helping pass the time I spend at home. I have not destroyed anything yet, despite the stories of over-competitive Wii players. Though I have knocked over my coffee while playing tennis.
4) While working out the other day, I looked at the locals in the gym around me. I was on the bike, going at least 50 percent faster than them. Most of the local women were biking at 1/3 to 1/4 the speed I was. If you biked that slowly in real life, your bike would tip over. They take the prim route here to a new extreme, not daring to get sweaty while working out. And I've never seen local women do more than a fast walk on a treadmill, let alone a jog. My theory: If you can't walk straight at normal speed, asking to run on a treadmill is just asking for all sorts of disasters.
5) Recent conversation with a friend who is ethnic Chinese but grew up in the States, which she just visited. She was taking some stuff from her flat here back home.
Friend: "Dude, I packed them up all in a big, cheap plastic bag. It was so Chinky."
Me: "There's no way I could say the same thing, could I?"
Friend: "Not a chance."
2) Really, socializing here is not unlike Chicago in winter. Go have dinner somewhere, hit somewhere else for drinks. Avoid the outdoors.
3) The new Wii I bought is helping pass the time I spend at home. I have not destroyed anything yet, despite the stories of over-competitive Wii players. Though I have knocked over my coffee while playing tennis.
4) While working out the other day, I looked at the locals in the gym around me. I was on the bike, going at least 50 percent faster than them. Most of the local women were biking at 1/3 to 1/4 the speed I was. If you biked that slowly in real life, your bike would tip over. They take the prim route here to a new extreme, not daring to get sweaty while working out. And I've never seen local women do more than a fast walk on a treadmill, let alone a jog. My theory: If you can't walk straight at normal speed, asking to run on a treadmill is just asking for all sorts of disasters.
5) Recent conversation with a friend who is ethnic Chinese but grew up in the States, which she just visited. She was taking some stuff from her flat here back home.
Friend: "Dude, I packed them up all in a big, cheap plastic bag. It was so Chinky."
Me: "There's no way I could say the same thing, could I?"
Friend: "Not a chance."


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home