Monday, February 04, 2008

It could be


1) Szechuan hot pot is pretty good, once you get over the fact that a) a restaurant full of people boiling meat and vegetables at their own table makes said place smell like a wet dog (make your own joke here) and b) it's not real hot pot until you cry from the heat. Big, manly tears from those little, little peppers.
2) Once again, I am getting too old for this drinking thing. Though the other night, at a friend's going-away, I met the world's best dancing German, an Indonesian woman who belly-dances on the side and another woman who is heading to Sudan to help run a refugee camp. You do meet the weirdest, best group of people in this city.
3) It's lunar new year here. You know what that means? Every morning, I am woken up, thinking my apartment is on fire, but then realize, no, it's just my neighbors burning offerings in their little burnt-offerings kiosk outside their door.
4) Yes, I know the midwest is cold. Real cold. But the average high here for the past two weeks has been in the low to mid-50s. That may sound joyous to you in Minnesota or Illinois, but realize the apartments here have no insulation, and all I have is a little space heater, so the temp inside the apartment is about 60 or so.
5) The gentrification of my neighborhood continues. An upscale grocer - named The Grocer - has opened two blocks from me. A few organic veggies, a small meat counter, fresh-baked bread, and a few shelves of dried pasta, plus lots of wine. It's not a grocery store per se - too small for that - but at least it means I can finally get good bread in my hood. Yaaay for bread!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yaaay for good bread, but boooo for tearing down some of Hong Kong's old neighborhoods in the name of gentrification. (I don't mean where you live, though; I mean Soho).
I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you would find a poster in your building warning people that their little burnt-offering kiosks could be a fire hazard.
If someone offers you that special Chinese New Year food, poon choy, just say no. It's worse than mooncakes.
I don't know if this is rude to ask, but would Hong Blog mind putting a link to his most prolific comment-leaver? As a special co-bloggers' gift, I'll bring you back some bacon from the U.K. if you do.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home