The universal language
Weekend moments:
1) For some reason, the rainy season hasn't kicked in yet; I remember it already raining by now the past two years here. It's been sunny here, I think, the past week or so, but it's hard to tell sometimes. See:

I climbed up to the hill - Mt. Davis - that overlooks my neighborhood. I had never been up there before, which is a shame. Outside of a lone mountain biker making the arduous climb and a group of paintballers warning me not to go further risk being shot, no one was there. There are great views and plenty of greenery, including a patch perfect for throwing a football. Good views, I think. I always tell people about the pollution here, and see above. It might be sunny outside, but I'm not sure. Is it foggy? Is it smoggy? Does it matter.
2) Later on in the day, I went with a friend on an impromptu visit to Macau. Tagging along was a Canadian visitor, by way of London, so we had to show her the historic downtown before we went to eat at Feranando's. And while downtown, we told her, you must try the meat jerky that Macau is known for. (Well, that and gambling and hookers.) We stopped at a stall to try a few samples of spicy piglet when the woman handing out the samples dropped a slab of jerky on the sidewalk. I immediately shouted out, "Two second rule!" and the clerk busted out laughing. Even though she knew no English, she immediately understood what I was getting at.
3) Speaking of gambling in Macau, the new Grand Lisboa casino, the updated version of the original casino there, is nearly complete. A more hideous casino could not be dreamed up. It makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.

4) In the waiting room for the ferry back, the vending machine had cans of Fanta that seemed to clarify my question of whether Fanta is realy ghetto (as it is in the states) or trendy (as in Asia) or ghetto-trendy (see Europe). It's both trendy and cutie!


1) For some reason, the rainy season hasn't kicked in yet; I remember it already raining by now the past two years here. It's been sunny here, I think, the past week or so, but it's hard to tell sometimes. See:

I climbed up to the hill - Mt. Davis - that overlooks my neighborhood. I had never been up there before, which is a shame. Outside of a lone mountain biker making the arduous climb and a group of paintballers warning me not to go further risk being shot, no one was there. There are great views and plenty of greenery, including a patch perfect for throwing a football. Good views, I think. I always tell people about the pollution here, and see above. It might be sunny outside, but I'm not sure. Is it foggy? Is it smoggy? Does it matter.
2) Later on in the day, I went with a friend on an impromptu visit to Macau. Tagging along was a Canadian visitor, by way of London, so we had to show her the historic downtown before we went to eat at Feranando's. And while downtown, we told her, you must try the meat jerky that Macau is known for. (Well, that and gambling and hookers.) We stopped at a stall to try a few samples of spicy piglet when the woman handing out the samples dropped a slab of jerky on the sidewalk. I immediately shouted out, "Two second rule!" and the clerk busted out laughing. Even though she knew no English, she immediately understood what I was getting at.
3) Speaking of gambling in Macau, the new Grand Lisboa casino, the updated version of the original casino there, is nearly complete. A more hideous casino could not be dreamed up. It makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.

4) In the waiting room for the ferry back, the vending machine had cans of Fanta that seemed to clarify my question of whether Fanta is realy ghetto (as it is in the states) or trendy (as in Asia) or ghetto-trendy (see Europe). It's both trendy and cutie!




1 Comments:
You know, the government just announced that it was putting a stop to all new licenses in Macau, to keep building from getting out of control. Maybe the legislation was inspired by that tower!
Post a Comment
<< Home