Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Little bites

Things you may not realize about Hong Kong unless you live here:
1) Whenever you call a phone number and want to get customer service, just keep on punching 8. Not the pound sign or 0 as in other countries. Because 8 is a lucky number here.
2) This country has the most annoying hold music on earth. Combine cantopop, bad classical music standards and the midi music from the 80s (think of any music from an arcade or Nintendo game from the 80s) and you get the hold music.
3) I realized the other night I cannot tell when locals are drunk by their walking. Because they meander while sober.
4) A coworker asked about hardware stores. Here, there are really only small kiosks and storefronts that sell hardware supplies. One of the big things I miss is walking into a hardware store to find whatever I need. We don't have them here, strangely enough.
5) I miss closets. While this is the city of shopping, we have nowhere to store stuff. A friend gave me a cooler the other day, and all I can do is put it under my kitchen table. If you walk into any home here, you always see crap piled on top of something or underneath something. Because we have no closets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home