Falla!
1) Met friends for brunch on Sunday. We went to one of the anonymous cafes/restaurants in Soho the types that cater to upper-middle-class-on-up professionals. Like us. Which means in Soho, they all have the same menu, and all are pretty much interchangeable.
I order eggs and ham and crispy potatoes. I get eggs and ham and french fries.
She orders egg whites and salmon. Gets that.
He sees huevos rancheros on the menu. We warned him against it. We all know this is going to end badly and disappoint him. He acknowledges it, and orders it.
Instead of eggs and a salsa on a tortilla, he gets eggs on top of baked beans on top of pita bread.
Seriously, WTF? I've seen many abominations done to Mexican food overseas, but this tops them all.
2) You know the hot season has started when a) you almost wobble over after running outside for 45 minutes. But not while running, but afterwards, while taking the elevator up to your apartment to cool off. and b) you get sunburned while jogging. I shall miss you winter.
3) Someone mentioned the other day about going through a down period. And after talking, a few of us came to the same conclusion: that when you live overseas, you go through a lot more peaks and valleys, emotionally, than you do while living back in the home country. That might explain things.
4) One of these days, I want to post a video of the couple that owns the laundry I use. Both have to be about 60, and good god, does she rule over him with an iron fist. Last week, I handed them a $100 HK bill for my laundry tab that ran about $45. He turned around and asked (I am guessing) if they had change anywhere and she proceeded to spend 10 seconds screaming at him. He then sheepishly - and that is using the word kindly - opened his wallet and emptied it to give me change. All I could do was shoot him the universal look of , "Dude, I feel your pain."
He's always happy to see me. She's always grumpy. It's like a sit-com every time I go there.
I order eggs and ham and crispy potatoes. I get eggs and ham and french fries.
She orders egg whites and salmon. Gets that.
He sees huevos rancheros on the menu. We warned him against it. We all know this is going to end badly and disappoint him. He acknowledges it, and orders it.
Instead of eggs and a salsa on a tortilla, he gets eggs on top of baked beans on top of pita bread.
Seriously, WTF? I've seen many abominations done to Mexican food overseas, but this tops them all.
2) You know the hot season has started when a) you almost wobble over after running outside for 45 minutes. But not while running, but afterwards, while taking the elevator up to your apartment to cool off. and b) you get sunburned while jogging. I shall miss you winter.
3) Someone mentioned the other day about going through a down period. And after talking, a few of us came to the same conclusion: that when you live overseas, you go through a lot more peaks and valleys, emotionally, than you do while living back in the home country. That might explain things.
4) One of these days, I want to post a video of the couple that owns the laundry I use. Both have to be about 60, and good god, does she rule over him with an iron fist. Last week, I handed them a $100 HK bill for my laundry tab that ran about $45. He turned around and asked (I am guessing) if they had change anywhere and she proceeded to spend 10 seconds screaming at him. He then sheepishly - and that is using the word kindly - opened his wallet and emptied it to give me change. All I could do was shoot him the universal look of , "Dude, I feel your pain."
He's always happy to see me. She's always grumpy. It's like a sit-com every time I go there.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home